Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Using the GAME Plan with my Students

I believe it is important for my students to know and understand the GAME plan process and the NETS-S. I have spent several weeks analyzing and studying the NETS-T and I plan to share this experience with my students.

I plan to share my personal GAME plan with my students. I want them to know how I set my goals, planned my actions, monitored, and evaluated my progress towards understanding the NETS-T. I believe that by sharing my personal experience with my students that they will have a better understanding of the GAME plan itself.

Then I plan to show my students the NETS-S. As a class we will go through each standard on the Smart Board and have a discussion about what they mean. Next, my students will set goals for themselves. I teach 5th grade students and I plan for them to go through the GAME plan process. In the beginning we will work as a class to work through the process, but eventually the students will use the process independently.

I also plan to use a buddy system so the students can check up on each other and so the students will be held accountable for taking steps to achieve their goal.

3 comments:

  1. Ashley,
    I really like how you want to share with your class how and what you expect. It seems to me that you want your students to fully understand what you are doing. I think this is good for the students to know so they can think ahead and understand why you are teaching something the way you are. I always heard students say "Why are we doing this? It’s so stupid. Your method the students will know why you are teaching it. Good way to look at the GAME plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley,
    Great ideas. I think it's wonderful that you will be sharing your goals with your class. Having our students see that we are life long learners is important. I also like the idea of using the buddy system. Accountability is so important when setting goals. You are teaching them and modeling for them so many life skills. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. James, thanks for your feedback. I also often hear the question "Why are we doing this?" Hopefully, by showing my students the GAME plan it will help answer their questions.

    Denise, I agree that showing my students that I am a life long learner is important. I think that so many kids today think that they stop learning when they graduate. They don't understand the concept of being a life long learner.

    ReplyDelete